Faculty of Public Health
The Faculty of Public Health is a Faculty of the Royal College of Physicians and has an international department. This supports the work of the FPH International Committee. Core department functions include:
- developing and maintaining strategic international collaborative relationships and partnerships;
- leading on the overall strategy formation, design, management and delivery of FPH international activities, collaborations and programmes;
- developing and implementing strategies for engaging the FPH membership on global public health issues
- supporting and developing the international membership through knowledge sharing and member engagement;
- raising the profile of FPH internationally through policy, advocacy, technical assistance and capacity building work; and
- Acting as a resource, source of information and support on international affairs for FPH staff, committees and departments.
Out of Programme Placements
There is a small number of recognised training locations abroad accredited for training through a Out of Programme (Experience) placement. A well structured placement abroad can make a very good contribution to the learning outcomes required by the curriculum, not least the leadership elements of the curriculum. Preparation for a placement abroad is more common after passing the Part B exam of the Faculty and preparaton for the placement needs to start well in advance of this.
Guidance on placements
Guidance for trainees considering a placement abroad is available on the Faculty of Public Health website.
Wessex encourages and supports these placements and further information can be found through the School of Public Health of Health Education Wessex.
Europe and Public Health
The Faculty has many links with Europe and particularly through its membership of the European Union Public Health Association (EUPHA).
Many other links with Europe also exist and these are on the website of the Faculty of Public Health.
World Federation of Public Health Associations (WFPHA)
The World Federation of Public Health Associations is an international, nongovernmental organization composed of multidisciplinary national public health associations. It is the only worldwide professional society representing and serving the broad field of public health.
WFPHA's mission is to promote and protect global public health. It does this throughout the world by supporting the establishment and organizational development of public health associations and societies of public health, through facilitating and supporting the exchange of information, knowledge and the transfer of skills and resources, and through promoting and undertaking advocacy for public policies, programs and practices that will result in a healthy and productive world.
Leadership Initiative for Public Health in East Africa (LIPHEA)
The Leadership Initiative for Public Health in East Africa (LIPHEA) initiative aims to strengthen the capacity of Makerere University School of Public Health (MUSPH) and Muhimbili University College of Health Sciences (MUCHS), Tanzania, not only to provide effective public health leadership for Uganda and Tanzania, but also to catalyze the training of public health leaders in the whole region.