Engaging in Global Health :The framework for voluntary engagement in global health by the UK health sector provides guidance for anyone in the NHS involved in or considering establishing a partnership with an organisation in a low or middle income country.
Date published: 2017-06-07T00:00:00
Published by the Government in 2014, this sets out a key set of principles to underpin the framework - that activities are driven by the needs of low and middle income countries, aligned with national, district or local health plans, coordinated adequately, evidence-based and sustainable and developed in partnership.
The Framework takes forward several of the recommendations of the All Parliamentary Group on Global Health and sets out proposed standards in five main areas.
- Effectiveness: including the key principles for effective voluntary engagement in global health;
- Organisational commitment: including the vital role of UK employers and professional associations;
- Support for volunteers: including preparation and support for the whole volunteer journey;
- Health values and ethics: the importance of an ethical approach including the values that motivate those who volunteer;
- Monitoring, evaluation and learning: highlighting the need to assess impact, improve effectiveness and learn from best practice.
The document provides an essential read for anyone considering or involved in a health partnership with a low of middle income country.
Link to the Framework